Re: dpkg-cross bug 384831

On 8/27/06, Jonas Meyer <shitse@web.de> wrote:
This problem made me wonder what the dpkg-buildpackage actually does
different, that shouldn'T be done in the individual packages instead. I
guess it's something about setting environment variables specific for
the package to be built.
Correct.

But I'm wondering what this was meant to be:

        # This should fit EmDebian needs:
        #
        # mode emdebian:
        # package all:
        #       scope environment:
        #               emdebian = true
        #       scope makeflags:
        #               CROSSPREFIX = $(crossprefix)
        #               EXTRA_CFLAGS = ...
        #               LIBC = ...
        #               CONFIG = ...

do we still need that?
Read carefully, it says "mode emdebian" which means this part does not
affect you in any way unless you're using specifically patched tools
that come from 'emdebian', which I bet is not nearly your case.

If there isn't any serious need for the way it is now i'd recommend
removing the diversion of dpkg-buildpackage and installing it as
dpkg-buildpackage.cross. Or maybe even remove it entirely.
Oh great, we should remove it because you managed to compile glibc.
Thanks for the advice! What were we thinking?..
But please read a howto (manpages from dpkg-cross package would also
do, to a certain extent) on cross-compilation in debian or at least
the archives of this maillist before suggesting such things. Or, if
that doesn't help, try renaming /lib/libc-2.3.6.so to
/lib/libc-2.3.6.so.native and you'll know what I mean.

--
I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally.