Re: Debian cross infrastructure maintenance proposal

On 4/17/06, Wartan Hachaturow <wartan.hachaturow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> This is a short proposal regarding establishing of a Debian Cross
> Interest Group -- a team of maintainers tracking all of the packages
> (or parts of packages) relevant for cross-compilation procedures on
> Debian systems (and for Debian systems).
>
> List of packages to maintain
> ------------------------------------
> 1. binutils
>    Here, we have to maintain a patch by yoush that adds an option to
> build cross binutils, suitable for use together with cross gcc. It is
> not clear whether binutils maintainers would like to include it in the
> package -- at least, we have to maintain the patch against the most
> recent version (in the buglog of appropriate whishlist item).
I remember Wookey trying to push the patch against the newest binutils
in debian. At the moment I have that patch updated to support uclibc-
architectures. Wookey, did you succeed in convincing James to take
that patch?

> 2. gcc
>    Here, we have to maintain patches against gcc source package,
> which add the ability to produce cross-compilers out of Debian gcc.
> Currently, patches exist against all major versions of gcc in Debian.
> Our task is to keep track of gcc package development and update these
> patches accordingly, collaborating with debian-gcc team.
Yeah, here I also do have a couple of patches.

> 3. dpkg-cross
>   Here, we have to maintain and develop dpkg-cross itself and its package.
>
> Optional: dpkg
>   We might step into trouble involved in pushing our ideas regarding
> additional architectures to dpkg :)
>
> Plus, of course, all relevant READMEs and documentation.
Volunteers are very welcome.

> How are we going to do that?
> -------------------------------------
> debian-embedded@l.d.o (or should we ask for a new list, specifically for that?)
No more lists, I implore. This list is rather silent anyway and I
don't see why we should move cross-compilation topic out of here.

> is going to be in Maintainer: field of dpkg-cross, and in various documentation
> bits (plus, of course, particular members in Uploaders, where relevant).
>
> Who's involved?
> --------------------
> Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@debian.org>
> Alexander Shishckin <alexander.shishckin@gmail.com>
> Raphael Bossek <bossekr@debian.org>
> Wartan Hachaturow <wart@debian.org>
>

> Preliminary TODO
> -------
> 1. Check relevance of the current patches against binutils and gcc, update
> if needed, announcing changes to the structure to debian-gcc.
Everything's fine with them, if we're talking about latest versions of
gcc and binutils. In a couple of days I'll post them here (if anyone's
interested to review those), cleaned up and shiny.

> 2. Merge patches to dpkg-cross (apt-build support, additional arches),
> test, upload.
> 3. Revise documentation for dpkg-cross and gcc's cross part.
Hmm. Is there any?

> 4. Check and test additional patches to the abovementioned packages
> coming from Slind, propose for inclusion, if found interesting.
I would insist on slind patches from the beginning, of course. After
all, I'm not very interested in maintaining several versions of a same
patch. Slind changes are either useful (to those who use 'em) or
simply don't hurt.

> 5. Create wiki page for discussions and stuff.
I'd ask Hector if he has time.

> So, this is it, shortly.
> Discussion, ideas and volunteers welcome.
Indeed.

--
I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally.