Re: Getting Java into the embedded toolchain

> Now that we have a free Java compiler (gcj), runtime (gij), and class
> library (classpath), it would be very useful to have them available in the
> cross-compilation toolchain.  This is especially true in view of the
> growing availability of cell phones, PDAs, and so on that are
> user-programmable in
> Java.  Cross-compilation versions of them seem to build OK, but I don't
> know my way around the Debian packaging system well enough yet to install
> them "the Debian Way".

AFAIK, at some point in past cross-gcj build used to fail.
I don't know what is the current situation.
Feel free to try it. E.g. you may grab my debian cross-gcc 4.0 work, enable
java stuff in rules.defs and see if it builds. If it will, we may add
support for it.