Getting Java into the embedded toolchain

Now that we have a free Java compiler (gcj), runtime (gij), and class
library (classpath), it would be very useful to have them available in the
cross-compilation toolchain.  This is especially true in view of the growing
availability of cell phones, PDAs, and so on that are user-programmable in
Java.  Cross-compilation versions of them seem to build OK, but I don't know
my way around the Debian packaging system well enough yet to install them
"the Debian Way".

The native ARM versions of all these tools work pretty well, although
classpath drags in a lot of X stuff that isn't always needed.  (It would be
nice not to have to have all of gtk if all you want to do is a little
server-side image processing on a webcam.)
--
Stephen R. Savitzky  <steve@rii.ricoh.com>  <http://rii.ricoh.com/~steve/>
Chief Software Scientist, Ricoh Innovations, Inc. Calif. Research Center