Re: Pushing binary toolchains in Debian?

> Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@cs.msu.su> [050707]:
>> >
>> > Indeed. And emdebian.org also 'maintains' (for some quite low value of
>> > maintian) an aptable repository of current toolchains here:
>> >
>> > deb http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/stable/ ./
>> > deb http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/unstable/ ./
>> >
>> > The stable ones are the trusty old 2.95-vintage packages which still
>> > work fine but are too outdated for some things these days.
>> >
>> > The unstable ones are essentially the same as Nikitas.
>> >
>> > The web-page needs updating to point out that these exist.
>> >
>> > I've just tried using them and found that the unstable ones are no
>> > longer installable on unstable due to arguments about version of
>> > gcc3.4-base.
>> >
>> > I'm just fixing that now.
>> >
>> > The idea is to keep a set of pre-built binaries that are in-sync with
>> > Debian so people can just apt-get them.
>>
>> Now when sarge is released, we may expect that at least some developers
>> will use it - at least for some time :).
>>
>> So it looks to be a good idea to build sarge versions of binutils and gcc
>> for all targets. I've already done that for binutils and gcc-3.3, gcc-3.4
>> will follow soon.
>>
>> Currently, my sarge repository
>> deb http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~nikita/debian sarge/
>> contains [all binaries are for x86]
>> - cross-binutils 2.15-6 for all debian targets
>> - cross-gcc-3.3 3.3.5-13 for all debian targets
>> - sarge libc6 and related libs dpkg-cross'ed for all targets, needed for
>> a basic cross-compile environment; also several additional libs needed to
>> build cross-gcc
>> These are intended to be installed on sarge.
>> gcc-3.4 3.4.3-13 is not ready yet; I'm working on it now.
>>
>> I think that this should be copied to emdebian.org
>>
>> Sid/ part of repository (snapshot of which looks to be copied to
>> http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/unstable/), is currently
>> completely out-of-date, I will do something with it later.
>
> Why not in default debian?

This question rised several times in the past.
Answer is:
- there are too many host-target combinations, each of those needed only by
several - if any - people;
- toolchain is essential for debian, having uploads be delayed by problems
with cross targets is hardly acceptable.

> I do not trust unofficial sources, simply because I want everything in
> debian, and not in outside sources.

Patches over standard debian packages and build instructions are available.

> Also, I need to recompile debs binary packages, since you do not provide
> debs for my arch.

Hmm, this is a point.
Do we have resources to set up building of cross toolchain for amd64 and
powerpc hosts?