Re: Pushing binary toolchains in Debian?

Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@cs.msu.su> [050707]:

> > Indeed. And emdebian.org also 'maintains' (for some quite low value of
> > maintian) an aptable repository of current toolchains here:
> >
> > deb http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/stable/ ./
> > deb http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/unstable/ ./
> >
> > The stable ones are the trusty old 2.95-vintage packages which still work
> > fine but are too outdated for some things these days.
> >
> > The unstable ones are essentially the same as Nikitas.
> >
> > The web-page needs updating to point out that these exist.
> >
> > I've just tried using them and found that the unstable ones are no longer
> > installable on unstable due to arguments about version of gcc3.4-base.
> >
> > I'm just fixing that now.
> >
> > The idea is to keep a set of pre-built binaries that are in-sync with
> > Debian so people can just apt-get them.
>
> Now when sarge is released, we may expect that at least some developers will
> use it - at least for some time :).
>
> So it looks to be a good idea to build sarge versions of binutils and gcc
> for all targets. I've already done that for binutils and gcc-3.3, gcc-3.4
> will follow soon.
>
> Currently, my sarge repository
> deb http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~nikita/debian sarge/
> contains [all binaries are for x86]
> - cross-binutils 2.15-6 for all debian targets
> - cross-gcc-3.3 3.3.5-13 for all debian targets
> - sarge libc6 and related libs dpkg-cross'ed for all targets, needed for a
> basic cross-compile environment; also several additional libs needed to
> build cross-gcc
> These are intended to be installed on sarge.
> gcc-3.4 3.4.3-13 is not ready yet; I'm working on it now.
>
> I think that this should be copied to emdebian.org
>
> Sid/ part of repository (snapshot of which looks to be copied to
> http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian-tools/unstable/), is currently completely
> out-of-date, I will do something with it later.

Why not in default debian?

I do not trust unofficial sources, simply because I want everything in
debian, and not in outside sources.

Also, I need to recompile debs binary packages, since you do not provide
debs for my arch.

Putting them into unstable would be *very* welcomed.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bh@udev.org>
http://bh.udev.org