Re: chroot setup howto

On Sunday 30 January 2005 5:35, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> Well, it's my weekend :) Please calm down.

I have, since making a little progress.  But I've forgotten what it's like to
have a weekend, since the Bush Economy II.

http://www.emdebian.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/RootFileSystem?#How_large_can_I_let_my_system_be
> ) so in case you want to use SNP, you could have seen the pointer to a
> simple example.

I did see this, and thanks, but it is the distillation of what you know, into
the core process.  Imagine if I changed all the words on that page randomly;
would you understand it?

A n00b needs a perspective of what's being done and why, in order to
understand the meaning, and how to adjust for other conditions.  I imagine
you ascertained these commands from the Readme's, and so I may too.
Hopefully then these instructions will make sense.  You have confirmed though
that SnP is the way to go for binaries, apparently.

I'd gone through the past 4 months of listserv archives, but no assistance
there for my questions.

> Why do you need a cross-compiler for i486 in the first place? What's
> wrong with something like   gcc -mcpu=i486 -m486  ? Just curious.

My intention is to accomplish not just the task at hand, but in the process to
make a development environment that allows quick portage to any architecture.
Trying to build a solid foundation, rather than take a route prone to error.

Unfortunately though, the Cross-Compile Environment gcc refuses to compile as
previously reported, which throws the whole distro into doubt since this is
the environment recommended.  I've invested about as much time as I can
afford for tools.  (three 12-hour days)