Re: chroot setup howto

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 07:21:02PM -0600, Quantum Scientific wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 17:59 -0600, Quantum Scientific wrote:
>> > I don't even know whether this would get me to an EmDebian filesystem.
>>
>> Well not really, scratchbox =3D/=3D EmDebian... Personally I have no
>> experience with scratchbox, but if I remember correctly ARM works best
>> because they use Qemu to replace hardware, and the ARM support is at is
>> best in that part of it. I also don't think it was designed to do
>> "native" compiling.
>
>No.
>
>I am not saying *Scratchbox* is failing to install.  That went in perfectly,
>and with several toolchains.  I had a blank filesystem ready-to-go with i386
>compile tools, however I do not know how to proceed installing EmDebian, and
>no one here was able to advise.  I know several others here are in the same
>boat, and are hoping that I get an answer so they can use EmDebian too.
>
>I am saying that I then resorted to installing your preferred Cross-Compile
>Environment, in hopes of ascertaining how to install EmDebian, except it
>fails installing every toolchain except ARM, with the error I posted.  At the
>moment I must have the i486 toolchain.  It is busted.  And I do not even know
>whether installing your preferred cross-compile environment will lead me to
>the way to set up EmDebian.  But this is the method I chose to try and figure
>out how to install EmDebian, since no one here has been able or willing to
>advise.
>

>> > I guess this project is just not ready.
>>
>> There are no ready made easy to use projects yet. It is starting out to
>> become better... EmDebian is another idea... Still in development, we
>> already have good toolchains, and a collection of knowledge, the main
>> developers are working on it but because we are slightly overloaded with
>> work it does not go as fast as we would like.
>
>I am not hoping for a ready-made project!  But I need some means to divine how
>to install the distro.  I can't read minds.  The Wiki, assuming it has this
>setup info, is a confused jumble and makes little sense to an educated
>newcomer.   And almost none of my questions have been answered here.
>
>To quote another poster here today, "Please feel free to add this to the wiki
>(i won't do it)."   WTF is that?

That means that i won't create me an account to fill in text into the
wiki. For me it's weekend and i prefer to do other things.

>EmDebian is inaccessible, since your "collection of knowledge" is being kept a
>secret for some reason.  If it's a club, or a priesthood, fsck that, I

>understand and will get lost.  I hate that attitude;  people like that are
>assholes and do nothing but harm the open-source movement.  But if someone
Well, it's my weekend :) Please calm down.

I wrote a usingSNP page in the wiki (linked from the page i cited
yesterday --
http://www.emdebian.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/RootFileSystem?#How_large_can_I_let_my_system_be
) so in case you want to use SNP, you could have seen the pointer to a
simple example. For me (i586-mmx target) SNP provided all i needed. From
what i saw, it should be no problem to create a filesystem with snp when
the target is a different arch than the build-host. Of course SNP does
use the precompiled binaries, so in case you need additional software on
your target, you need to (cross-)compile it for the target.

Somebody (Nikita, iirc) looks into dpkg-cross, but i'm not familiar with
it.

>can understand what I am talking about and is willing to help, I'm willing to
>try.

Why do you need a cross-compiler for i486 in the first place? What's
wrong with something like   gcc -mcpu=i486 -m486  ? Just curious.

>Carl Cook

friendly,
Bernhard