Re: chroot setup howto

Hi,

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 17:59 -0600, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> Well, that's fantastic...

> I don't even know whether this would get me to an EmDebian filesystem.

Well not really, scratchbox =/= EmDebian... Personally I have no
experience with scratchbox, but if I remember correctly ARM works best
because they use Qemu to replace hardware, and the ARM support is at is
best in that part of it. I also don't think it was designed to do
"native" compiling.

> I guess this project is just not ready.

There are no ready made easy to use projects yet. It is starting out to
become better... EmDebian is another idea... Still in development, we
already have good toolchains, and a collection of knowledge, the main
developers are working on it but because we are slightly overloaded with
work it does not go as fast as we would like.

> > >The idea of a Wiki is that people can add content that they feel is
> > >useful. As people bring up Emdebian we should construct a howto
> > >section. Community involvement is good, even in documentation.

Even if we have a goal, we are not uptight about showing people
alternatives. We are not a commercial thing, we are working towards one
goal, making a Debian based embedded distro. The more people can tell us
where to go, what is lacking,the better. Of course helping us out is
even better :-) So I guess that the scratchbox option is not immediately
a tool we could use to attain our goal (we have to investigate further
before discarding it, milage may vary and a new version is coming out...
and if it works beautifully for ARM, it is already a start)

regards,

Philippe

--
| Philippe De Swert
|
| Stag developer http://stag.mind.be/
| Emdebian developer: http://www.emdebian.org
|
| Please do not send me documents in a closed format.
(*.doc,*.xls,*.ppt)