Re: chroot setup howto

Hi all,

> > Is the recommended development mode to create a chroot environment? If
> > so, does someone want to take a crack at writing a howto for the Wiki?

It would be an interesting topic anyway.

In Debian you can try debootstrap. You can also use the buildroots from Erik
Andersen (however I am not sure the debian package tools are installed)

> chroot for de the devopment env or a chroot for the target filesystem?
> In the last case, you can only do this if the target is not another
> architecture and I guess this is only a minority of the cases.
>
> However, considering the early time, I assume I am missing something ;)

I gave Allen a *unstable* preview version of the new Emdebian tools and told
him to do the tests in a chroot. I found two more bugs yesterday, that I have
 to fix tonight, but it is getting in shape. It will not be necessary anymore
once everything is mature...(it might still be helpful though).
If anyone else wants to try them out, let me know.

regards,

Philippe

| Philippe De Swert
|
| Stag developer http://stag.mind.be/
| Emdebian developer: http://www.emdebian.org
|
| Please do not send me documents in a closed format.
(*.doc,*.xls,*.ppt)
| Use the open alternatives. (*.pdf,*.ps,*.html,*.txt)
| http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

NOTE! My email address is changing to ... @scarlet.be
Please make the necessary changes in your address book.