Re: Emdebian

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:04:25PM +0100, Marc Leeman wrote:
> > You must be aware that a number of "commercial" companies on this
> > list try to behave differently than what you describe and sell serious
> > technical support with no lock-in strategies, just billable by the hour
> > of actual development work or billable on fixed fee development and
> > support contracts.
>
> I think I said exactly this :)

I read something else, including the words below:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:47:28AM +0100, Marc Leeman wrote:
> If you are so hung up on the 'free', I will not stop you to go to a
                                                                    ^^
> commercial vendor: I'm sure they will be very happy to shower you with
> sales talk, sell you an expensive and node locked product and hang you
> out to dry.

And I interprete this as a generalization of the behaviour of all commercial
vendors. I know at least 3 on this list (I am refraining from naming them
in public, but you know who you are, so feel free to comment yourselves),
that do no act the way you describe. And for a person that is probably
new to the matter, your post may present an overly negative impression
of commercially available support for Free SW solutions (some of which
is a good value to the customers, and allows to subsidize more Free SW
development).

If I may refrase it to something in the sense of "be careful, some
vendors may be ...", than I can accept your statement.

I have no intent to be personal, and respect your work a lot, just adding
my opinion to your message.

Hope This Helps,

Peter