Re: Wiki: Hardware support and Emdebian Progress pages

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 05:28:25PM +0100, Philippe De Swert wrote:
> I have seen this, which looks pretty interesting and is not to expensive:
> http://www.gumstix.com/
>
> Of course I wonder about the level of support we can get in case if troubles.
> If anybody has experience with this one let me know.

What support would you like ?

* support on the PCB is not very much required once it is validated that
  the PCB is correctly designed.

* support on the chips, you can try to get from the Si manufacturers. If
  you really have a point, there is fair chance that Intel and co will
  listen to this list. But the issues on pxa255 are farily well
  understood by now. New design of that type are usin ghte pxa270.

* support on SW issues ... the joined knowledge on this list is greater
  than what you could get from most SW houses ...

What is the remaining problem then ? If it is the price (109 USD = 80
EURO), you might consider co-sponsoring a design and then trying to get
it manufactured at lower prices ? I doubt how much lower you could get.

I think it would be really nice is to add some low-end FPGA on it
(5 or 10 USD) to allow simple HW extenstions or accelerations.

Peter