Re: Wiki: Hardware support and Emdebian Progress pages

Hi all,

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 20:25 +0100, Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 05:28:25PM +0100, Philippe De Swert wrote:
> > I have seen this, which looks pretty interesting and is not to expensive:
> > http://www.gumstix.com/
> >
> > Of course I wonder about the level of support we can get in case if troubles.
> > If anybody has experience with this one let me know.
>
> What support would you like ?
>
> * support on the PCB is not very much required once it is validated that
>   the PCB is correctly designed.

This is my biggest concern as it is very unclear if we can have the
schematics....

> * support on the chips, you can try to get from the Si manufacturers. If
>   you really have a point, there is fair chance that Intel and co will
>   listen to this list. But the issues on pxa255 are farily well
>   understood by now. New design of that type are usin ghte pxa270.

Indeed this chip is already well known and the toolchains have been
extensively tested with it.

> * support on SW issues ... the joined knowledge on this list is greater
>   than what you could get from most SW houses ...

Indeed, or at least I hope so :-)

> What is the remaining problem then ? If it is the price (109 USD = 80
> EURO), you might consider co-sponsoring a design and then trying to get
> it manufactured at lower prices ? I doubt how much lower you could get.

I think the price is certainly correct...

> I think it would be really nice is to add some low-end FPGA on it
> (5 or 10 USD) to allow simple HW extenstions or accelerations.

Well I could suggest it to the people making it. A very nice thought...

regards,

Philippe

--
| Philippe De Swert
|
| Stag developer http://stag.mind.be/
| Emdebian developer: http://www.emdebian.org
|
| Please do not send me documents in a closed format.
(*.doc,*.xls,*.ppt)