Re: x86 HOW-TO?

> based. I've used u-boot for ppc based boards almost exclusively

Hmf, you're kidding right?

[mleeman@gemini linux-2.6.10]$ ls -1d ../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_*
../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_arm
../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_generic
../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_i386
../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_m68k
../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_microblaze
../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_mips
../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_nios
../../../u-boot-1.1.1/lib_ppc

And this is just an old version (1.1.2 was tagged last year in CVS).

> and I can tell you from experience, u-boot is not the way to for
> x86 based boards (not enough support for that platform).  I just

I agree that U-boot evolved from a ppc platform, but considering the
activity on the u-boot mailing list and the platform support list...

Hence das U-Boot (Universal Boot) instead of ppcboot.

I re-ported a ppc-board from ppcboot to u-boot and was very pleased with
the structure of the code and the ease of porting. I only needed to make
1 change in board.c specific to our board (remind me, I should ask on
the mailing list what the correct (tm) approach would be).

Furthermore, I like Wolfgangs no-nonsense and sarcastic (a lost art)
remarks on the  list >:) (next to his expertise and effort to answer
most if not all mails to the list).

> recently purchased a Epia MII board and in the process of
> bringing up LinuxBios V2 on it. If I were you I would serioulsy
> consider LinuxBios for your x86 based platform...

There might be alternatives (of course), but I have no expertise with
those.

--
  Marc Leeman
  R&D Firmware Engineer

  Barco Control Rooms
  Noordlaan 5, Industriezone, B-8520 Kuurne (BE)
  Tel. +32 56 368 428
  http://www.barcocontrolrooms.com
  mailto:marc.leeman@barco.com