Re: x86 HOW-TO?

> I don't understand your answer.  I've looked over emdebian, and can't
> make any sense of how to install/ configure it?  (I'm working with the
> Via Epia platform -- Cyrix X86)

If you want a really tiny system, you need to use uclibc/busybox as
explained in the wiki. If you want a larger system, emdebian can be a
solution.

Once you figure out this, the solutions and approaches are completely
different. I would assume that the x86 emdebian solution does not need a
cross compiler, but will result in a larger FS.

btw, how much flash do you have to use? You will need to divide this
figure by two if you want a field upgradable solution.

What have you done and what not? Can you already boot a kernel on your
target? If not, have a look at U-boot, chances are that your board is
already supported (I'm not familiar with that platform).

Start by configuring a NFS kernel (explained in the wiki) and see if you
can boot and access your target that way.

> Is there a place with some basic pointers?  The Wiki is not particularly
> enlightening yet.

The wiki starts with a basic embedded kwowledge and goes on with giving
pointers from that point onwards.

--
  Marc Leeman
  R&D Firmware Engineer

  Barco Control Rooms
  Noordlaan 5, Industriezone, B-8520 Kuurne (BE)
  Tel. +32 56 368 428
  http://www.barcocontrolrooms.com
  mailto:marc.leeman@barco.com