Re: ARM toolchain recommendation

I should think so. Do make sure you build a debian-style toolchain - i.e.
not one that installs to /usr/local/ It would be best to build from the
latest debian binutils and gcc packages so that we can keep in sync with the Debian mainstream. If you wrote a script that would automagically produce
x86->arm, powerpc and m68k C and C++ cross-compilers and binutils, that
would be great.

The process is all nicely documented in the gcc/docs/cross-compile file.

Of Emdebian I assume....

This is the sort of thing that machine offered to set up would be handy for.
Any progress on that?

It will be up this weekend. I am taking the easy way out and swapping hard drives.

What are your toolchain recommendations for ARM?

I'm still using the emdebian one for most things as it's a fine
vintage but
for some things (e.g arm xscale targets) it's too old and i've been
using
either the handhelds.org toolchain or the scratchbox toolchain.

I will take a look at these.

there are also a couple of good ones at http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/

These are 3.2.x which I thought was very curious.