Re: ARM toolchain recommendation

+++ Allen Curtis [04-06-02 08:54 -0700]:

> On Jun 2, 2004, at 8:00 AM, Wookey wrote:
>
> >+++ Allen Curtis [04-06-02 07:35 -0700]:
> >>I am starting a new project using the TI OMAP 5910 processor. This
> >>seemed like a good opportunity to use some new technology so I went to
> >>the Emdebian site. I was very surprised to see that the toolchain was
> >>very old. (2.95.2 if I remember correctly) Is there a reason for this?
> >
> >Yes - no-one has got round to producing a nice replacement.
> >
> If I get versions that looks promising, would someone be willing to
> test it?

I should think so. Do make sure you build a debian-style toolchain - i.e.
not one that installs to /usr/local/ It would be best to build from the
latest debian binutils and gcc packages so that we can keep in sync with the
Debian mainstream. If you wrote a script that would automagically produce
x86->arm, powerpc and m68k C and C++ cross-compilers and binutils, that
would be great.

The process is all nicely documented in the gcc/docs/cross-compile file.

This is the sort of thing that machine offered to set up would be handy for.
Any progress on that?

there are also a couple of good ones at http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/

> >Are you sure you can't build 2.6 kernels with gcc 2.95? I was under the
> >impression that 2.95.4 was actually better for kernel building (on
> >arm),
> >even now. maybe that's only 2.4?
>
> Actually I think I could build 2.6 kernels with 2.95.3. (I could not
> build GCC 2.95.3 using the 2.5 kernel headers) I could not build the
> 2.6 kernel with GCC 3.2. It refused saying that there are too many
> known bugs. GCC 3.3 is getting a lot of good press but I can not build
> this until I update the GCC version on my workstation.

Yes 3.2 was not good (on arm at least). 3.3 is much better and even mostly
works :-)