Re: ARM toolchain recommendation

On Jun 2, 2004, at 8:00 AM, Wookey wrote:

+++ Allen Curtis [04-06-02 07:35 -0700]:
I am starting a new project using the TI OMAP 5910 processor. This
seemed like a good opportunity to use some new technology so I went to
the Emdebian site. I was very surprised to see that the toolchain was
very old. (2.95.2 if I remember correctly) Is there a reason for this?

Yes - no-one has got round to producing a nice replacement.

If I get versions that looks promising, would someone be willing to test it?

What are your toolchain recommendations for ARM?

I'm still using the emdebian one for most things as it's a fine vintage but for some things (e.g arm xscale targets) it's too old and i've been using
either the handhelds.org toolchain or the scratchbox toolchain.

I will take a look at these.

Are you sure you can't build 2.6 kernels with gcc 2.95? I was under the
impression that 2.95.4 was actually better for kernel building (on arm),
even now. maybe that's only 2.4?

Actually I think I could build 2.6 kernels with 2.95.3. (I could not build GCC 2.95.3 using the 2.5 kernel headers) I could not build the 2.6 kernel with GCC 3.2. It refused saying that there are too many known bugs. GCC 3.3 is getting a lot of good press but I can not build this until I update the GCC version on my workstation.