Fw: Re: Is dpkg-cross a wrapper for dpkg ?

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:26:18 +0300
From: "Nikita V. Youshchenko" <yoush@cs.msu.su>
To: Raphael Bossek <raphael.bossek@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Is dpkg-cross a wrapper for dpkg ?

> I'm investigating the possiblity to instal packages for cross-compile
> environemnt using APT. The first tests are hopeful but until the all
> think works I do not intent to promise something.

Can you write a bin more what are you trying to do?

> Now a question about the dpkg-cross application. Should dpkg-cross be
> a wrapper for dpkg for foreign packages?

I don't think so.
I see a little use for all commands of dpkg-cross other than -b - at
least
in their current form.
To install components of cross-compile environment, dpkg itself should
be
used.

> The background is the usage
> of dpkg by APT. APT --unpack first then --configure the unpacked
> packages. --unpack is not supported by dpkg-cross today so I have to
> apply the functionality to dpkg-cross if it's a wrapper for dpkg. If
> not I have to introdue a additional application. I dislike this idear
> and whould see how complicated it is to add the --unpack functionality
> to dpkg-cross before start a new wrapper for dpkg. --configure should
> not be a problem.

Some additional tool for apt-style installation/upgrade will be needed
anyway, e.g. because apt parses status file (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
directly and will not understand that foo-arch-cross is actually foo for

arch. So additional tool may (for example):
- pre-process apt lists and status,
- run apt to do package resolving and download,
- catch calls from apt to dpkg ---unpack and convert package with
dpkg-cross -b and unpack resulting package with dpkg --unpack,
- catch calls to dpkg --configure and pass call to dpkg -configure with
-arch-cross added to package name(s)