Re: About Debian bug 246061, suppress environment variable

> Why?
> Default configuration file will provide the same values that are
> currently hardcoded into dpkg-cross, so ease of usage will not suffer.
I did not realise that you intent to create a configuration file that
will be read to pre-set variables of dpkg-cross. The substitution
mechanism should also stay as it is today. Only the contants move from
the Perl sources to a external text/configuration file.

> We may even implement "include" statement for config file, and split
> such "base" setting into a separate file.
That's nice :)

> By the way, user-provided config file will not replace system config
> file in this case, but will just be included from there.
This file would be $HOME/.dpkg/cross-compile I think.

> But we will get great advantages:
> - - it will be 100% clear what variables are being set, and what
> values they get. No longer (citing your message) "nobudy really know > which ones are defined".
I'm now able to imagine what you intent to change and how. It sound now
more clean for me.

> I just tried to implement 'unset' feature, and disliked the result. I
> really want to unify variable setting first. I probably will try to do > that, and show you the result (without committing anything). I hope > you'll like it :).
Ok.

--
Raphael Bossek