A doubt about loading linux image on target hardware

Hi All,
I will be starting my work in embedded systems involving linux. I
would like to know how to create and load the linux image on the
target hardware? I would also like to know how to add and remove
modules from the linux image. I would like to write a small
application program and want to download that on the target hardware
with the linux image.
I am looking for a book that explains everything about embedded
systems programming in linux.
Can some one recommend a source of information that I am looking for?
Online information is preferred but I am unable to find the relevant
website.

Thanks,
Samar