Re: why not kernel images and other tools?

In message <[🔎] 20040423132128.B7B88C109F@atlas.denx.de>
          Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:

> In message <[🔎] 168625a44c.peter@chocky.org> you wrote:
> >
> > There might be a call for a monolithic ARM boolloader package which
>
> Might be? Has been, and is.
>
> > contains all these things, knows how to access flash, etc, etc.   It's
> > also a big maintenance job, if it was done at all given the typically
> > small user base of any given ARM platform.
>
> ==> U-Boot

That's not an overly helpful answer.  As Wookey as pointed out, there
are many bootloaders, and u-boot certainly doesn't work on more than a
large subset of ARM and other embedded platforms.  u-boot doesn't know
how to access disks (last time I looked) for example, which is where
some systems keep their kernels.

Furthermore, AFAICT, u-boot isn't packaged for Debian, so I'm not sure
of what you're trying to claim here.

--
Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org        | http://www.chocky.org/
RISC OS C Programming                  | http://www.riscos.info/