Re: Debian router (compressed FS needs)

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 00:51, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear Graig,
>
> The Debian new installer (beta release 3) stopped during installation on an
> 128 USB key. After mounting the key on my workstation, it appeared to be 100%
> full.

Did you try the potato installer? I think the base install is around
80M. You may want to look at some of these small distros, or even ptx.

> What do you recommand: install to a disc partition, strip down and copy to the
> USB key?
>
> I would be in favour of working on an interactive script build script. There
> are several boards here waiting for USB keys (to reduce the heat) and I would
> prefer to invest in 64 Mb keys. The smaller ... the better.

If you want to learn about building a small root filesystem, you need to
work from /sbin/init forward, not stripping down a full installation.
You can check out buildrootsystem script from Chapter 4 at
embeddedlinuxinterfacing.com. That script would require significant
modification/additions to meet your needs.

> Also, compressed FS and RAM virtual disc may enhance the life of an USB key.
> By the way, can USB keys be destroyed by too many read/writes?

Yes you can destroy with too many writes. You need to mount /tmp and /var on
a ramdisk if you want to lengthen your devices life.