Re: circular dependencies in debian -> impact on emdebian

On Wed Apr 07, 2004 at 01:02:05AM +0200, Philippe De Swert wrote:
> > > Would this strategy avoid the need for a modified copy of
> > > the rules files  ^^^^ in a separate emdebian directory ?
>
> The advantage is that we can add all our stuff in such a dir,
> without annoying the regular Debian crowd.

If debian-embedded is going to completely reinvent the wheel,
they could just as easily reinvent the world using gentoo or gar
or whatever.  What you are proposing effectively means scrapping
the entire existing debian packaging code base and starting over.
I do not think the current packaging is sufficiently broken that
it requires yet-another-entirely-new-and-different system.  I
think it would be much more sensible to work with the current
debian build system and adjust things as needed....

> Anyway we also need changes to the control file. We need to use
> another naming scheme, just to keep Debian and Emdebian
> packages apart. Also the dependencies will be different for an
> Emdebian or Debian package. (Will certainely happen if we start
> splitting up libraries to gain space. Who needs libcrypt or
> similar on his system if he has no application which uses it?)

If every debian-embedded .deb package depends on uclibc, I think
that should be sufficient to keep people from doing any sort of
unwise mixing of binaries....

 -Erik