Re: some thoughts (scratchbox, emdebian/rules)

First of all thank you for your reaction,

Quoting Lauri Leukkunen <lauri.leukkunen@nokia.com>:

> We're working on packaging scratchbox as a debian package. I don't know
> when exactly this would be available, we have a "dumb" package which
> doesn't really know how to upgrade itself currently. It isn't much
> better than using the tar-balls from the website.

I definitely will try it out when I have some more disk-space and an
arm-platform capable of running some graphical interface for which I will run
into compilation problems

> > I would try to make
> > as much workarounds as possible in the rules file (makefile for debian
> source
> > package) as these work-around would remain valid for quite a while, and
> makes
> > rebuilding by developer easier.
>
> In my opinion you are a brave soul to attempt going at it that way. :)
> The problems are mostly not related to Debian rules files alone. You'll
> need to fix the original build systems themselves.
>
> Luckily for us mere mortals this is just fine from scratchbox project's
> perspective since we're really only interested in the result (==
> cross-compiling Debian for embedded devices). If more package
> maintainers and upstream projects are aware of cross-compiling, then it
> will make life easier for all.

What I tried to propose actually was: limiting as much as possible the use of
scratchbox to the "problematic" packages. But indeed I still will need to be
"brave", and hopefully not the only brave one :)

> I'm not sure if I'm able to attend Fosdem. I'll try to find out if I
> could get it arranged as it would definitely be useful.

I hope you can make it.

greets,

Philippe

Gestuurd via het webmailsysteem van het De Nayer Instituut: www.denayer.be