Re: Re: Emdebian 'shrunken debian scheme'

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 22:46, DHollenbeck wrote:
> Why uclibc?  With CF disks getting bigger and cheaper, I find the
> inconvenience of maintaining separate uclibc binaries not worth the effort.

Because uClibc is a lot smaller, especially when you look at the locale
files.  If you think of someone trying to Debian on a device without X,
or any GUI, it becomes reasonable to try and cram everything onto 32Megs
or less.  If you were designing a product that you wanted to be able to
easily upgrade in the field, and you were going to make thousands, then
every penny saved on smaller flash, means big savings.

Check out http://people.debian.org/~andersee/, for an example of woody
running on uClibc.

David

--