Re: Emdebian 'shrunken debian scheme'

+++ Richard Smith [04-01-11 00:00 -0600]:

> What I would like to see first is some good Howto docs on generating the
> modifications to the stock source packages for setting up the uclibc
> build target options and managing a local repository of your build
> packages for installing onto the target.

This would be great, but I'm not sure anyone is yet in a position to write
these. If they are then please go ahead. I've started looking at a few
packages to see what's needed but I've not got as far as working out a
process, merely reckoning that it ought to be possible.

Certainly, most peope won't be in a position to conribute much without some
detailed guidance like this. So the sonner someone generates some, the better.

> I'm a long time unstable user
> of debian and can fix most any dpkg install isues but I know very little
> about the build scripts that generate a .deb and generating/modifying
> the dependency list.

The only way to really understand them is to package something. Pick a
package, get the source and the debian policy docs and run debuild on the
source. (or 'fakeroot debian/rules'). Then try modifing the target to build
a mini-version. (modifying an emdebian-target won't work until we have
modified tools that will build using this target - sorting that out is a
priority task).

> A good info source on this this would allow me and probally others to
> begin modifying the build scripts for the packages they use.  Then we
> could start pushing those mods back to the emdebian site and upstream
> maintainers.

OK, noted. Thanx for semi-volunteering. I'm sure there are quite a few
people in your situation - the problem is that we need a few gurus to get
things to that state first.