Re: Emdebian 'shrunken debian scheme'

On Mon Jan 12, 2004 at 05:35:13PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> Is is possible to run emdebian (uclibc) and Debian (glibc) packages on the
> same system? Is ought to be, but is that a sensible goal? It might be
> convenient for testing/development but if you are going to have to install
> glibc anyway then why bother using uclibc in the first place. If we aren't
> going to mix Debian and emdebian then having different names isn't stricly
> necessary, but might still be helpful.

This tends to be quite problematic in practice.  You end up with
soname collisions, and running configure scripts ends up creating
horribly botched messes.  Sure, it'll work nicely for simple
stuff, but for each package where things work nicely, there are
10 where you end up needing to hack things to make it work.  In
the end, I don't think the benefits (and the support burden!) are
worth the effort.

 -Erik