Re: Word of Emdebian at LinuxWorld Exp (London) ?

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 06:20:52PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Mark Brown [03-10-29 22:51 +0000]:
> > For the benefit of those of us who weren't there what were the problems
> > with using udebs for this?  At first glance it seems that for many
> > packages they ought to be able to do the job and they're already there
> > and being built.
>
> Good question - as you say it seems superficially like a sensible idea.
>
> The fundamental problem, at described by the resident FTP-master, (IIRC) was
> that udebs are simply 'non-policy conformant packages' and they don't want
> more of them than are absolutely necessary. Ultimately, hundreds of udebs is
> not something the ftp masters are going to accept. We should be making
> proper debs but to a consistent 'emdebian' policy (which says you can
> miss out the docs, for example).

There's another fundamental problem, which is that packages built
against uClibc really need to be built against a complete uClibc
environment.  Cross-compiling uClibc packages (i386-glibc ->
i386-uclibc) works sometimes, but has most of the general cross
compiling issues.

dave...