Re: Word of Emdebian at LinuxWorld Exp (London) ?

David Schleef wrote:
There's another fundamental problem, which is that packages built
against uClibc really need to be built against a complete uClibc
environment.  Cross-compiling uClibc packages (i386-glibc ->
i386-uclibc) works sometimes, but has most of the general cross
compiling issues.

Which are eminently solvable, I might point out.
Only wimps are afraid of cross-compiling :-)

Oh, ok, it *is* hard to take an existing build system like Debian's
and make it cross-compile-clean; each package needs updating.
It's a can of worms, as David points out.

For what it's worth, I've been very impressed with ptxdist,
a tiny distribution devoted to the idea that *every*
package should cross-compile.  You *can* compile
ptxdist natively, but only by using the native toolchain
as if it were a cross-compiler!
It also provides very fine-grained control over what
gets put into the target filesystem.
I encourage you to check it out; it's always good to
know your competition.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel