Re: uClibc (was: Emdebian at Linuxworld Exp..)

Wookey replied to my privately by accident. Here is his reply:

++ Liberty Young [03-10-30 10:17 -0700]:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 12:34, Erik Andersen wrote:
> > On Wed Oct 29, 2003 at 09:07:42AM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> > > That is a more sensible default I agree. Makes life difficult for
the
> > > ARM7500FE people, but it does seem more sensible than making it
difficult
> > > for everybody else, which is the current state of affairs. If we
compile
> > > everything for soft-float on arm how hard is it to use the real
FPU on the
> > > few chips (one chip?) that do support it - does everything need
recompiling
> > > due to incompatible ABIs?
> > >
> > > Even in this case I think it's still worth doing, as FPUed arm
chips are in
> > > such a tiny minority, but Vince might complain (as an arm7500FE
machine vendor :-).

> > There would need to be a separate hard-float distro for that.
> > Each and every binary and library compiled for soft-float would
> > be totally incompatible with hard-float.
>
> Would this mean that uClibc would NOT work for processors such as the
> AMD ElanSC520 (i486 with FPU) ?

No - the soft-float default woule only apply to arm, where real hardware
FPU
is almost non-existent in real CPUs (there are 2 (out of at least 25),
and
one is obsolete). For other arches we have whatever build options are
most
sensible for them.

Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel +44 (0) 1223
811679
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/     play:
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/