Re: Status of Emdebsys????

I have/had plans to use it in this project http://www.ocera.org. I
wanted to integrate Linux and Rt-Linux configuration and compilation and
snp for x86 and StrongArm.

The reason that kernel 2.5 doesnt adopt CML2 (I agree with you that the
UI is not very nice either) made me study the possibility to adopt qconf
(used in kernel 2.5) and integrate it, in some way or another with snp
(which I think is nice and working), etc... I dont know if somebody has
explored that approach.

I will check Robert's tool, though  I think that having compatibility
with kernel 2.5 would be an apriori long-live indication.

Regards
Adrian

>On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 14:15, Wookey wrote:
> On Mon 10 Mar, Liberty Young wrote:
> > I'm very excited about using emdebsys for generating, and having our
> > customers, generate their own mini-OS. I like how it will automate the
> > compilation, gathering, and generation of an OS suitable for an embedded
> > product. There were a few things that i'm unclear about with emdebsys:
> >
> > What is happening to it?
>
> Not much at the moment. It got updated to kernel 2.4.16 and to work with
> ARM as well as x86, and had some useful docs done just over a year ago, and
> I gave a talk about it at the UKUUG conference last June but I never got
> round to updating the website so you can only get the current version from
> CVS. In practice very few people (no-one?) seem to be using it so there
> isn't much action.
>
> I'm doing a project right now for which I am going to try using it which
> might induce some activity
>
> > Specifically, what is going to happen to the front end configuration,
> > and are there plans to move away from CML2?
>
> There is a feeling that we probably ought to move away from it as it got
> the thumbs-down from the kernel developers and is no longer maintained. It
> also has a rather un-beatiful front end.
>
> I haven't had time to look at the more recent kernel config stuff (kbuild?)
> to see if it could be used or not. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has
> any suggestions of good ways to do this or if in fact sticking with this
> general-purpose config language is the best thing to do - at the expense of
> less-close integration between the filesystem and kernel configuration
> sections.
>
> I note that something called Qplus is a similar config system that also
> uses CML2 and is therefore in a similar spot. It may be somewhat more
> developed than emdebsys (it certainly has a nicer front-end :-) - again I
> haven't had a chance to check. We should almost certainly compare notes
> with them.
>
> So in short, no there isn't a plan yet.  Suggestions welcome. Like I say
> once I've had a real-life attempt to use it in a project I may have some
> more solid opinions. We're getting real money for this job so it should
> happen pretty soon :-)
>
> Wookey
> --
> Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel +44 (0) 1223 811679
> work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/     play: http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/
>

> --

"Time never dies, circle is not round..."
V I S U A L   T O O L S
Adrian Matellanes
R&D Department
C/Isla Graciosa, 1.