Re: dh-make-elpa ?

Dear,

Thank you to point me out explanations about the issue that you are
trying to address. They are mentioned in the DPN but I have not
carefully read them.

However, I am still not sure to understand the aim, and if the effort
will pay off.

Firstly, because some of these security issues are partially fixed by
Emacs 25.1, if I understand well. Then, I am sure they will be fixed
Emacs-side soon, I guess. Maybe not so soon for e.g., the package
signature or other fancy Debian-package features ; whatever.

Therefore, from my point of view, the aim of a such tool corresponds
more to the use of all the Debian infrastructure (well-integration,
reproducibility, stability and "long-term" support, etc.). From what I
understand, it is the same sort of idea for Emacs-packages than for
Python-packages, R-packages, Perl-packages, etc. Each of them has its
own package manager working more or less efficiently, and they are
still packaged by Debian. And it is not necessary about security
reasons. All this package effort, is it not the same aim ?

Secondly, the need of administrator privileges to install `elpa-*`
packages is --from my point of view-- a drawback. But, it is a not
drawback of `elpa-*` package, it is a drawback about APT. From what I
am daily doing, it appears to me really useful to be able to locally
"install" programs and/or libraries such that scientific tools,
editing tools, etc., without querying the sysadmin of the lab
(justifying why? depending on his/her planning, etc.).
For my daily tasks, `conda` package manager fits my needs, even if it
lacks clear rules for packing, and share nothing between users, which
does not save disk memory. I mean, the Nix/Guix approach seems
interesting, and more than only this "relocable trick", e.g.,
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2014/debconf14/webm/seeing_Debian_through_a_Functional_lens.webm
Whatever! It is out of topic... :-)

I suppose that `#debian-emacs` if the entry point for helping ?
(note this channel is not mentioned on the Wiki page:
https://wiki.debian.org/IRC )

All the best

--
simon