Re: dh-make-elpa ?

Hello Simon,

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 11:50:11AM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> One of the main advantage of `package.el` combined to `use-package` is
> that it works without any administrator privileges. Therefore, I can
> use some exotic add-ons on my lab computer without querying the always
> busy sysadmin. (that's why I am also using `conda` or `cRan` and I am
> testing Guix, whatever!).

Yes, but when package.el downloads packages from the Internet it does so
in an insecure manner:

https://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2015/11/editor-malware.html
https://github.com/melpa/melpa/issues/2342

This is what we are trying to avoid.  package.el is just not very safe
yet.

> I did not find too much information, so my question is: the idea
> behind such tools and the aim of `elpa-*` packages is to add Debian
> infrastructure to (M)ELPA, keeping the flexibility of `package.el` ?
> I mean, is it possible to install `elpa-*` package without
> administrator privilege ? e.g., with the option `:ensure t` of
> `use-package` ? Or before I need to install system-wide the `elpa-*`
> package by APT tools ?

No, installing elpa-* packages requires administrator privileges.

--
Sean Whitton