Phasing out emacs23 support

Hi all,

(I hope this gets through. I am not subscribed to the list. So please also CC
me on replies.)

I maintain (in the build-and-upload sense as I cannot program elisp) the ess
package for statistical modes (ie R, but also Julia, PSPP and other
languages) for Emacs.  It is really well supported upstream too.

The last release no longer builds/installs on emacs23.  Upstream recommends
that I simply exclude emacs23. Upon reflection I think I concur but I now
wonder how to best implement this.

So far, and all these years, I just used (indented for email) this:

     Depends: ${misc:Depends}, emacsen-common (>= 2.0.8),
              dpkg (>= 1.15.4) | install-info
     Recommends: r-base-core
     Conflicts: dhelp (<= 0.3.12)
     Suggests: xlispstat, pspp, jags, julia

and I could of course have a 'Conflicts: emacs23' but I am a little weary of
side-effects.

Has this come up, and is there a set of best practices?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org