Re: emacs kill ring and X

Hello,

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:49:43AM -0400, Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
> Now I have emacs 23.4.1 on Debian wheezy
>
>   "GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>    of 2012-09-08 on trouble, modified by Debian"
>
> and emacs 24.3.1 on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS.
>
>   "GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
>    of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian"

The default settings for interaction between X and the kill ring changed
with the release of Emacs 24.  In the changelog, they provide
information on restoring the old behaviour.  You might want to ensure
your two Emacsen are consistently configured in this regard.

> I can M-w from the latter and C-y to the former just fine. But I can't
> M-w from the former and C-y to the latter. Why? I think it is the
> difference between the X toolkit version of emacs and the GTK+ version
> of emacs I remember that under Debian there are two different emacs
> packages and I had to select emacs23-lucid to get the non-GTK version
> to get this to work.

I'm not sure how you're doing this since those are different operating
systems.  X11 forwarding, or something?  That could be interfering.

--
Sean Whitton