Re: Phasing out emacs23 support

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> writes:

> The last release no longer builds/installs on emacs23.  Upstream recommends
> that I simply exclude emacs23. Upon reflection I think I concur but I now
> wonder how to best implement this.
>
> So far, and all these years, I just used (indented for email) this:
>
>      Depends: ${misc:Depends}, emacsen-common (>= 2.0.8),
>               dpkg (>= 1.15.4) | install-info
>      Recommends: r-base-core
>      Conflicts: dhelp (<= 0.3.12)
>      Suggests: xlispstat, pspp, jags, julia
>
> and I could of course have a 'Conflicts: emacs23' but I am a little weary of
> side-effects.

the files debian/${package}.emacsen-{install,remove} contain shell
script, that probably already switches on "flavour". You can look at the
notmuch source package for an example that ignores emacs21 and 22.

You might (or might not) find the dh-elpa tool interesting; it maintains
these scripts for you, and already ignores emacs23.