Re: [Pkg-emacsen-addons] magit-svn-el packaging

Hi Sean,

Sean Whitton writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:26:49PM +0200, Alberto Luaces wrote:
>> Sean Whitton writes:
>>
>> > I just looked at the code; not sure why I thought you didn't need a
>> > version.  dh_elpa definitely needs one and I think it's part of the ELPA
>> > package specification so you should consider forwarding your patch
>> > upstream.
>>
>> Ok, I did, but the code is supposed to be fine as is: I have been told
>> that a Package-Version tag is generated automatically when published as
>> an ELPA package, using the latest release tag.
>
> I think you mean published to MELPA by "published as an ELPA package"?

Yes, that is correct.

>> Maybe the difference with other packages is that I am cloning the git
>> repository instead of getting published sources.
>
> It's team policy to use the git repo rather than MELPA/GNU ELPA [1].
>
> [1] http://pkg-emacsen.alioth.debian.org/

Ok, so that is what I am doing, so either we have to take into account
cases like this, or just patch the sources, as we already have.

I am fine with the patching —it seems that packages without a Version
tag are pretty rare.

Regards,

Alberto