Re: New DFSG-compliant emacs packages

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:25:02 +0200, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 09:20:15 +0200, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
>> said:

>>> There is no freedom protected by that.  Proprietary code is not in
>>> the GNU system so that people using the GNU system are not kept
>>> from helping their neighbors and themselves with the source code.
>>> Not being allowed to modify or throw out the GNU Manifesto from a
>>> 500+-page document is not keeping them from using and modifying
>>> the source.
>>
>> I am prevented from making a small version of the manual to go
>> along with the emacs prc I hav made for my palm device; since
>> memory all limited.

> Not at all.  You are prevented from _distributing_ such a manual,
> and I have not ever seen such a project.  It would probably be easy
> enough to get permission from the FSF for such a version without the
> GNU manifesto if you could show its usefulness.

        What is the point of making a neat new refcard if I can't
 share it with my friends? It is amusing that someone with a @gnu.org
 address is arguing that it is OK if I can't share my work :)

>> I do not have the freedom to make a small little cheat cheet ased
>> on the manual, without adding stuff the removes the space available
>> for my MP3's.

> Your MP3s.  Now that's funny.  Both because you use patented file
> formats without thinking twice, and because the space that the
> invariant sections of the GNU Emacs manual take up is _minuscule_
> compared to even a single MP3.

>> Just because this is a freedom you do not care about does not mean
>> it is a freedom that Debian does not care about.

> But Debian does not _provide_ freedoms.  It just takes them away.
> Throwing out the Emacs manual does not give the user any freedom.

        Debian throws out all kinds of non-free software. You might
 argue that sticking to just free software is a bad thing, which you
 seem to be doing, since your argument is that users like the non-free
 stuff.  Again, amusing to see a @gnu.org address rail against s
 project sticking to its guns about freedom.

        Is freedom only worth it if it is not inconvenient?

>> You have decided that is not a freedom you care about. I differ.

> But you don't care enough for that freedom to actually write a one
> or two page manual.  And you don't provide the user with any
> freedom, but rather take away possibilities from him by refusing to
> let him use the Emacs manual under the GFDL.

        We'll get around to replacing all kinds of non-free software
 with free replacements, by and by, including non-free
 documentation. This is a process that takes time, and being
 volunteers, we do not have a time line. Which is why we package the
 non-free documentation, and make it available.

>>> So no freedom of the user gets protected in the process, merely
>>> his convenience.
>>
>> Semantics.  I need to be free to move the doc to my phone.

> But you don't gain that freedom by removing a manual.  You can only
> provide that freedom by _writing_ a manual, not by removing it.

        We'll get around to it.  I mean, how long has it taken the GNU
 project not to provide a viable kernel?

>>> It shows that the talk of "protection" is nonsense.
>>
>> You lack of imagination is your problem.

> I prefer working with real documentation instead of imaginary
> documentation that somebody imagines to be freer because it does not
> contain the GNU manifesto as an indelible part, nor anything else.

        Real, non-free documentation does exist =-- where it belongs,
 in the non-fre archive.  Free documentation may take a while.

> The FSF, not being satisfied with the available situation, rewrote
> software and documentation according to their ideas of freedom.

        I know. They also rewrote the kernel to ... oops.

> If they really bothered about the freedoms of their users, they'd
> work on projects intended to _provide_ those freedoms.

        We are. But we do things right, so it takes us a bit to get
 done.

        manoj
--
Hear about the Californian terrorist that tried to blow up a bus?
Burned his lips on the exhaust pipe.