Re: New DFSG-compliant emacs packages

Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org> writes:

> +++ David Kastrup [27/10/06 23:03 +0200]:
>>Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org> writes:
>>
>>What freedom of the user is protected by removing GFDLed documentation
>>from Emacs?
>>

> Do you understand why debian believes the documents are non-free in
> the first place?

Sure, because they are not allowed to modify or remove the GNU
manifesto from a 500-page-plus document.

> Do you understand that debian aims to be comprised 100% of free
> software, and that debian doesn't make a distinction between code
> and documentation when determining what is software?

You did not answer my question.  What freedom of the user is protected
by removing GFDLed documentation from Emacs?  It is your claim that
this is done to protect the user's freedom.  By removing the GFDLed
documentation, the user does not gain the freedom to modify the GNU
manifesto.  The user does not gain the freedom to use a manual without
the GNU manifesto.

So please, answer this question: what freedom of the user is protected
by removing GFDLed documentation from Emacs?