Re: Gnus Manual License

Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:16:59 +0200, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> said:
>
>> Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

>>> I cannot make a derivative manual that states on the cover that it is
>>> "A GNU Manual" when it is, in fact, NOT a GNU manual.
>
>> Since when?  The line is not "I am a GNU Manual, and whoever says
>> differently will get sued".
>
> Huh?  Are you saying that it's OK to publish some random manual, and
> state on the cover that it is "A GNU Manual", when it is, in fact,
> NOT a GNU manual?  Is the FSF OK with this?

If they put on the cover text, they have to bear the consequences.
Certainly.

> Independently of copyright law, there are generally laws against
> using someone else's name to "endorse" your own product without
> their permission.

So what?  You do not even have their permission, you have their
_demand_ to put this cover text on.  It would be utter license abuse
that would lose them a case before every court if they twisted this
into some sort of "you are not allowed to publish at all" game.

>>> The manual would make claims that are absolutely false, and which the
>>> license prevents anyone from removing.
>
>> You can easily say
>
>> A GNU Manual
>> Converted to a Microsoft share.
>
> Yay.  So we can have:
>
> A GNU Manual
> Except that now it's been adapted into the ZILE manual, and only chapter
> 28 has any relation to any GNU manual.
> Actually, this is now a JOVE manual.
> Published by IBM.
> Err... make that Sun.
> Well, this isn't actually technically a manual any more, per se.  It's
> more of a reference card now.
> ... ad infinitum ...

No, we can't have that.

    The ``Cover Texts'' are certain short passages of text that are
    listed, as Front-Cover Texts or Back-Cover Texts, in the notice
    that says that the Document is released under this License.  A
    Front-Cover Text may be at most 5 words, and a Back-Cover Text may
    be at most 25 words.

[...]

    You may add a passage of up to five words as a Front-Cover Text,
    and a passage of up to 25 words as a Back-Cover Text, to the end
    of the list of Cover Texts in the Modified Version.  Only one
    passage of Front-Cover Text and one of Back-Cover Text may be
    added by (or through arrangements made by) any one entity.  If the
    Document already includes a cover text for the same cover,
    previously added by you or by arrangement made by the same entity
    you are acting on behalf of, you may not add another; but you may
    replace the old one, on explicit permission from the previous
    publisher that added the old one.

> At least with the BSD advertising clause, you were never forced to
> state something that was factually incorrect, requiring you to add
> useless text in order to retract the falsehood.

The thing does not become non-GNU by modification, and the cover texts
apply to mass-printed copies, so we are pretty certainly talking about
a manual here.

>> if you deem it necessary.  And this requirement becomes active only
>> on mass printed copies, anyway.
>
> Like I've said before: dual license GPL/GFDL.  If publishers
> can't/don't want to comply with the GPL, then they can use the GFDL.
> And people who don't care about printed copies can use the GPL.

The problem is that they can subsequently restrict redistribution to
just a single license.  And that means that the protection is the
minimum of that of GPL and GFDL, not a combination.  For example,
GFDL-hostile entities like Debian will be free to distribute the
material GPL-only, meaning that it will become impossible to
reasonably create printed copies.