Re: Gnus Manual License

> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:54:05 +0200, Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> said:
>
>> I believe the license clause is annoying, but, as for OpenSSL, does
>> not make it impossible to use the licensed material freely, and in
>> particular, should not prevent including it in main.
>
>         At this point, however, individual beliefs are not relevant
>  any more; the project has collectively made the decision already (and
>  cover texts lost); and it would take another collective decision to
>  revert it.

Discussion that could lead to such a collective decision is not
prohibited by Debian's charters last time I looked.

The previous decision was focused about whether Debian should grant a
blanket "it is free" statement for arbitrary cover texts _and_
Invariant Sections, and the answer to that was "no".  There was,
however, no option to allow for just cover texts (which are strictly
limited in size) without Invariant Sections (which can be arbitrary in
size), and there was also no option to vote for a limit of size or
content after which Debian would no longer consider documentation
free.  Such a limit might allow the minimal texts used by the FSF in
most GNU projects to pass, as long as no use is made of Invariant
Sections.