Re: emacs-snapshot problems

Sebastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> Hi,

> I use to follow the Emacs CVS development and i am also under Debian.
> Upon advice from  Xavier Maillard some weeks ago, i  installed the work from
> Jérôme Marant to build clean Debian Emacs packages.

OK.

> I  had no  difficulties for  the  patching/building part.  But the  packages
> installation was quite more difficult.
> I followed the tips given at http://usefulinc.com/edd/notes/CVSEmacsOnDebian
> but did not manage to have all fixed.
>
> I must tell that i have  also the genuine emacs21 package installed to allow
> installation of  some other  elisp packages (emacs_wiki,  nxml, ...)  and it
> seems  that   emacs21  with  emacs-snapshot  together  seem   to  have  some
> undesirable board effects.

Such as?

> Xavier had just  told me to look at  this list and i find that  i fight with
> the same problems other people already had. For example :
> - on-line  documentation is partially broken  : sometimes it  fails to access
>   /usr/share/emacs/21.3.50/etc/DOC-21.3.50.7  (looks very  like Kai  had and
>   following what was said on the list i did the make maintainer-clean)

It is strange. The ".7" extension means that emacs has been many more times
than what does the package.

Basically, I use make bootstrap and I shall get DOC-21.3.50.1 only.
Then, when I need to build a with another toolkit (like GTK), make distclean
removes any DOC* file.

> - tramp (provided with cvs package)  is totally broken : i cannot access any
>   ftp site for example and it also keeps on failing to display help

What tramp cvs package?

> I suppose that  there is a problem  with the path, that some  lisp files are
> seen several times  and that for emacs-snapshot some  files from emacs21 are
> loaded.

You need to provide details so we can possibly diagnose. Thanks.

> Hopefully Gnus is mainly still functional :) (some problems with bbdb remain)

What's the problem with bbdb?

> Also,  i wonder  why emacs-snapshot  cannot replace  the emacs21  instead of
> installing aside. Maybe it would simplify those problems ?

We don't want that. A stable emacs release shall always be around in case
of troubles.

> So, maybe a good soul in the list could help me to debug that stuff ?

Sure.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant