Re: [Q]: Emacs CVS status

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Jérôme Marant <jmarant@free.fr> writes:
>
>> If you refer to the error message you pasted few days ago, it is not
>> a bug in Auctex at all.
>
> Right.  But there is also the problem that auctex isn't byte-compiled
> for emacs-snapshot, only for emacs21.
>
> After your comment (that auctex is "conservative") it seems to me that
> there is probably a list of known Emacs flavors in the auctex package,
> and emacs-snapshot needs to be added to that list.  But I haven't
> looked at the source code of the auctex package...
>
> I hope this isn't completely bogus.  If it is, please hand me a rock
> to hide under.

I hate violence :-)

Seriously, I'm contemplating. I'm not sure it is wise that applications
support emacs-snapshot, especially because it may regularly bring
incompatibilities (like Emacs Lisp ones) and break package upgrades.

The fix itself is easy. Edit /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/auctex

 case "${FLAVOR}" in
    (emacs) : ;;
-    (emacs21)
+    (emacs21 | emacs-snapshot)
         do_byte_compile ${FLAVOR}
         do_auto ${FLAVOR} ;;
     (*) echo >&2 "install/auctex: Ignoring emacsen flavor ${FLAVOR}." ;;
 esac

should work (untested!)

--
Jérôme Marant