Re: Xemacs needs a real maintainer

Quoting Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com>:

> Despite claims that he's around, James Lewis-Moss *still* isn't maintaining
> xemacs21 or xemacs21-packages at all properly -- he obviously doesn't have
> enough time.  Look at the RC bugs, and note the total lack of comment from
> him.

Perhaps could we convince James to create an alioth project and to
allow comaintainers that way. I think that XEmacs is too important
a package to be maintained by a single person (popularity means
a lot of bug reports). Working together for the benefit of our users,
that is.

This is what Rob and I did with emacs21 few months ago, and it is
definitely better.

> If this isn't dealt with, I think xemacs21 and xemacs21-packages should
> be removed from 'sarge', because they're unacceptably buggy.  This would
> entail the removal of three additional packages, but no more (most packages
> depending on xemacs21 have alternative dependencies on 'emacsen' or
> 'emacs21').

XEmacs is used by a lot of people, and missing it would be bad for Debian.

--
Jérôme Marant