Re: Debian pkg oddies

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I don't understand. You cannot have byte compile files for both Emacs
> and Xemacs and this is actually the case, as far as I can see the
> files in the auctex  directory are not byte compiled!

Right.  The /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp hierarchy contains no
byte-compiled files; instead, as described in
/usr/share/doc/emacsen-common/debian-emacs-policy.gz, they go in
parallel trees under /usr/share/xemacs21/site-lisp et al.

However, the Debian auctex package does not bother to byte-compile for
XEmacs, which ends up taking everything other than tex-site (which
contains reasonably version-independent settings) from XEmacs's
bundled version in /usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages/lisp/auctex.

> I just want to point out, that maybe one can save work for the debian
> work, by using what is already shipped for xemacs.

Maybe, though I actually find the current setup to work pretty well,
even if it does take some getting used to at first.

> Since you seem to know about this issue,
> what is the matter with smtpmail and sendmail, locate-library
> returns nil when searching these libraries, although they must be there.

Hm?  On my system (running current unstable), it reports finding both
in /usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages/lisp/mail-lib/.

Finger amu@monk.mit.edu (NOT a valid e-mail address) for more info.