Re: Emacsen MUA

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, J. wrote:
> Tatsuya Kinoshita <tats@vega.ocn.ne.jp> writes:

>>> Handling encodings and MIME is the least that a good MUA shall offer
>>> that's why I didn't even mention it.
>>
>> Peter's message (recent post to this list, using MH-E) is not a
>> MIME message.  It has non-ascii characters without `Content-Type:'.
>
> I didn't notice it has non-acsii characters but it seemed to have
> not groked my accents properly.
>
> Does a message necessarily need to be MIME when it uses
> non-ascii characters?

Yes. :)

Seriously, email without MIME is defined to be US-ASCII 7-bit only in
the standards.  Most mailers pass 8-bit these days, but not all, and
without a MIME type you can't trust the eighth bit to mean what you
intended for all your readers.

         Daniel

--
Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites.
        -- William Ruckelshaus, _Business Week_, 18 June 1990