Re: News from the emacs-snapshot packaging

Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:23:18 -0500, Peter S Galbraith
> >
> >> Since using e.g. /etc/emacs21/ instead of /etc/emacs/ makes these
> >> packages incompatible with future versions of Emacs, they should
> >> really only be used when the setup is very different between Emacs
> >> flavours.  Even then, is there a good reason for using them instead
> >> of using conditionals under /etc/emacs/ ?
> >
> > 	Umm, why would they be incompatible? When there is an emacs22,
> >  it shall have a flavour of emacs22, and the gnus install shall, if
> >  the compilation succeeded, create an init file in the appropriate
> >  place.
>
> I don't think so unless gnus is emacs22-specific.
> It works pretty well with other packages, I don't see any reason why
> it wouldn't work with gnus.

Right.  I created a flavour emacscvs and ran:

/usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install emacscvs

and gnus didn't get built.  I have now removed it and reinstalled it to
see if that would work:

Setting up gnus (5.10.2-8) ...
install/gnus: Ignoring emacs.
install/gnus: Byte-compiling for emacs20...found emacs20 ..done.
install/gnus: Byte-compiling for emacs21...found emacs21 ..done.
install/gnus: Ignoring emacsen flavor emacscvs.
install/gnus: Byte-compiling for xemacs21...found xemacs21 ..done.

Investigating, I see it didn't work because you assume to know all
flavours in /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/gnus.  It's a valid
point of view, since those are the flavours that you know to work and
support.  It's likely that your using the separate directory structure
isn't causing problems as I had assumed (I now assume that ucf would
create /etc/emacscvs/site-start.d if it didn't exist, but I haven't
checked).

So I guess Jérôme can release emacs-snapshot to experimental and we'll
have to find all packages that hard-wire byte-compilation flavours (like
gnus) to have them add emacs-snapshot after checking that they work.
Would that be okay with everyone?

> >> think it is not the right thing, unlike nxml-mode which is really
> >> emacs21-specific.
> >
> > 	Well, I beg to differ.  This prevents, say, from a package
> >  which only compiles for version 20, for example, from creating a load
> >  time config for emacs21, thoguh the byte compiled package is not
> >  available.
>
> Why can't the flavour and its version be detected from
> the /etc/emacs/site-start.d file, and things loaded (or not)
> accordingly?

That's what I do anyway.  So you used this structure because gnus
didn't work on emacs19?

Peter