Re: News from the emacs-snapshot packaging

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:23:18 -0500, Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> said:

> Since using e.g. /etc/emacs21/ instead of /etc/emacs/ makes these
> packages incompatible with future versions of Emacs, they should
> really only be used when the setup is very different between Emacs
> flavours.  Even then, is there a good reason for using them instead
> of using conditionals under /etc/emacs/ ?

	Umm, why would they be incompatible? When there is an emacs22,
 it shall have a flavour of emacs22, and the gnus install shall, if
 the compilation succeeded, create an init file in the appropriate
 place.

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:54:39 +0100, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> said:

> AFAIK, the reason why psgml is loaded from /etc/emacs21 is because
> this mode is shipped in XEmacs packages and it must not override the
> XEmacs package (or maybe the Xemacs version is a modified one). I

	No, that is not the only reason.

> think it is not the right thing, unlike nxml-mode which is really
> emacs21-specific.

	Well, I beg to differ.  This prevents, say, from a package
 which only compiles for version 20, for example, from creating a load
 time config for emacs21, thoguh the byte compiled package is not
 available.

	Can anyone point out a real flaw in the current packaging (as
 opposed to "it makes me add to the load path when I install a
 non-debian program"?

	manoj
--
The meat is rotten, but the booze is holding out.  Computer
translation of "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."