Re: News from the emacs-snapshot packaging

Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> wrote:

> Hi,

Salut Jérôme !

> I managed to change the emacs packaging so that it is possible
> to easily adapt it to any upcoming GNU Emacs flavour.
> Full testing remains but most of the work has been completed.

Thanks for doing this.

> Now, I wonder how it is possible to use the numerous emacs
> modes shipped by Debian with such a flavour.
>
> Most of emacs modes detect emacs21 or xemacs21, so I doubt
> any mode will work with the emacs-snapshot flavour
> (emacs-snapshot provides emacs21 though).

I'm not sure about _most_ modes.  I'm running CVS Emacs now with the
Debian startup.  I did notice that my packages loaded correctly but
some like gnus didn't.  I guess thoese that use /etc/emacs/site-start.d
mostly work and those that split off into e.g. /etc/emacs21/site-start.d/
don't.

My solution was simply adding "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/gnus" to my
load-path after detecting the problem.

> The solution would be that every mode adds emacs-snapshot
> to its flavour list. Is there any other way?

Since using e.g. /etc/emacs21/ instead of /etc/emacs/ makes these
packages incompatible with future versions of Emacs, they should really
only be used when the setup is very different between Emacs flavours.
Even then, is there a good reason for using them instead of using
conditionals under /etc/emacs/ ?

Wondering...

Peter